Friday, September 5, 2014

Jasper's Beans

The last few years we’ve planted beans in the garden. I like how easy they are for the kids to plant and watch grow, and my brother sends the kids cool bean seeds for their birthdays in April every year. Last year he sent Rattlesnake beans and this year it was a package with green, yellow and purple bean seeds. We planted some of both in the beds this year. 





There’s this sense of almost instant gratification in planting beans for the kids. And they are super low maintenance. When the do sprout, which is fairly quickly, they are big hearty sprouts and they grow quickly. Give the pole or climbing beans a bit of tepee or trellis to climb and they are off!



But here’s the thing, I don’t really like beans. I mean spicy pickled beans in a fabulous Bloody Mary, yes please. Or sautéed in brown butter with garlic, okay fine, but beans, as I’m sure most of you know, produce a lot, way more than I care to eat. 



Let’s just say they aren’t up there at the top of my list like home grown tomatoes or broccoli.

But guess who likes them? Jasper Ohlin, the vegetable hater. Not only does he like them, but he actually requests them at meals when I make the kids eat vegetables. And last week, we were getting ready to go pick Greg up from work and Jasper asked if he could take some green beans with him as a snack in the car. 



Who took my child and replaced him with this impostor?? I guess I'm glad we have all these beans growing!



No comments:

Post a Comment